The Burlington County Health Department (BCHD) protects and improves the health and well-being of your community, as well as the environmental resources upon which we all depend. The Health Department contracts with all 40 local Boards of Health in Burlington County to provide residents, businesses, and visitors a variety of health related programs and services.
Since 1900, the average lifespan of U.S. residents has increased by more than 30 years, with 25 years of this gain attributable to advances in public health, such as:
- Safer and healthier foods
- Motor-vehicle safety
- Healthier mothers and babies
- Safer workplaces
- Family planning
- Control of infectious diseases
- Fluoridation of drinking water
- Decline in deaths from coronary heart disease and stroke
- Recognition of tobacco use as a health hazard
Today, BCHD, along with our sister agencies across New Jersey continue to promote health and wellness.
The Burlington County Health Department…
- Protects you from health threats. BCHD works to prevent disease outbreaks and makes sure the water you drink, the food you eat, and the air you breathe are all safe. We are also ready to respond to any health emergency — be it bioterrorism, Ebola, Zika Virus, rabies, or a new environmental hazard.
- Educates you and your neighbors about health issues. BCHD provides you with information that helps you make healthy decisions, like exercising more, eating right, quitting smoking, and washing your hands to protect yourself from communicable diseases. During a public health emergency, we also provide important alerts and warnings to protect your health.
- Provides healthy solutions. BCHD offers the preventive care you need to avoid disease and maintain your health. We provide flu shots for all county residents and help mothers get prenatal care to give their babies a healthy start. We also help provide eligible children and adults with immunizations, and help low income families get the good nutrition needed to help them grow and learn through the Women, Infants, and Children program.
- Advances community health. BCHD takes part in developing new policies and standards that address existing and emerging challenges to your community’s health while enforcing a range of laws to help keep you safe. We work through research and staff training to maintain expertise and deliver up-to-date, cutting-edge health programs.
- Enhances the public health workforce. BCHD actively recruits and trains community members and licensed healthcare professionals to assist in community screening and during times of public health emergencies and disasters.